Sunday, June 25, 2006

Thankyou, Chef Herbert Sachse*

* In 1935, Chef Herbert Sachse of the Hotel Esplanade, Perth, Western Australia, created the pavlova to celebrate the visit of the great Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova.
- taken from Dahran British Grammar School's International Cookbook


o. my. god.
I made pavlova today.
and it. was. SO. GOOD!

The first time I tasted this dessert was at Taufik's ex-boss's christmas party. I think his boss's wife put bananas on it.
The first time i saw it made was in n1gella laws0n's cooking show, and was amazed at how damn easy it was. I swore I would try to make it one day.

I cannot take credit for making this recipe easy peasy, because it is already so easy to make. I wanted to make a small pavlova, coz I didnt want to end up with too much leftover like I had with the chocolate cake, so I halved n1gella's recipe for passionfruit pavlova. (you can also look at what hers look like). I didnt have any passionfruit or any fresh fruits, for that matter, so I used sliced up canned peaches instead.
As I am typing this, Ihsan is eating the last quarter of the one I made, so I doubt I'm gonna get a chance to take a picture of it. Maybe next time, eh?

But because I want to torture you, I'll describe what it tasted like:
The pavlova itself had a crunchy outer crust, but the middle was fluffy and almost marshmallow like. Anis actually asked me whether it was a biscuit coz it was crunchy. The crust that melded with the whipped cream on top didnt become soggy, but addictively chewy. The oh so rich whipped cream topping balanced the sweetness of the pavlova and the peaches gave a nice fruity sweet-sour edge to the whole thing.
I was literally moaning oh my god oh my god with each bite i took. I think I sprained my eyeballs from rolling it around so much. It was *that* good.
I thought mine tasted too sweet though, so the next time I make it, I'll probably reduce the amount of sugar.

okay so the next time I make it, I'll try to take a picture before eating it (coz it does look very pretty) and I'll post the halved recipe here. (nigella's recipe makes an 8 to 9 inch pavlova, mine was only about 6 inches)

No comments:

Post a Comment