Monday, March 06, 2006

Supersize Me and other stuff

Have you seen the film-documentary 'SuperSize Me'?
It's about this guy who went on a 100% McDonald's diet for 30 days. He ate nothing but stuff offered by McDonald's.
By the end of the 30 days, he had gained 20pounds, his cholestrol level shot up, his % body fat increased from 1% to 18%, his liver was fried and he was on the brink of a heart attack. He also got signs of addiction.. he would feel depressed when not eating and have headaches, and he would feel better when he has had some McD.
I guess his 'experiment' is not only applicable to McD, it's prolly applicable to all fast-food joints, and even food you consume at home, if you're not careful.
Damn.. that movie was scary.

This has made me think carefully about what I cook everyday and what eating habits I am teaching my kids.

I deep fry almost everything.. fish, chicken.. fritters, keropok (fish chips).. it must not be good.
And my kids don't eat vegetables that often. The ocassional carrot slices (in soup) or cucumber (raw, sliced), but I have never been successful in getting them to eat leafy greens. They would even pick out the onion bits in food.
They get lotsa carbo, that's for sure.
They get their protein from the fried chicken, and the omelletes or eggs fried sunny side up, and lately from the crunchy fried anchovies and peanuts that acts a side dish in our meals.
The only supply of fibre that my kids gets is prolly from the apples that I pack in their snack box at school, and those fed to them by Taufik after dinner.
Oh, .. and from the cereal they eat every morning...
Alhamdulillah, I have managed to curb my kids' consumption of soft drinks.. and candy.
Junk food.. hm... since I have cut down myself, there's not really much supply in my house, except for Oreos and Glucose Biscuits.
They get an abundant supply of chocolate/strawberry milk though, but that's not bad, right?

I better re-think my daily menu and try to introduce more fruits and vegetables in my kids' diet.

(Note: yesterday I broiled my ayam garam kunyit (chicken with seasoned with tumeric and salt) instead of deep frying them. Turned out quite good, not that different from the deep fried version. I think I'll do more broiling/grilling from now on)




Just a short comment on last week's AI results.
I am glad Heather and Brenna is gone, as I had predicted.
Jose - well, I had thought he'd be one of the first few ones to be eliminated, so no suprise there.
I was actually suprised that David was chosen to go though. I mean, not that I thought he was a good singer, but I guess I misjudged the AI voters. I thought they'd be superficial and would keep David on because of his cute-ness, but I guess I was wrong.
Which actually gives me hope that maybe they will one day vote off Ace The Face. Yes!.




I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the god-knows-how-many-times yesterday.

Every time I watch this movie, I try not to cry and I try to concentrate on the special effects.. how Joel walks out of the bookstore right into his friend's living room. How whichever way he turns around, she is always walking away from him and he was always at his car. How book titles dissapear..
I know those were probably digital effects, done on the computer, but how in the world did they do that scene in that house?? It must've taken a lot of takes to do that one.
But dammit. It didnt work. It still managed to make me cry.
I cried when Joel says "No, let me keep this one (memory of them talking under the sheets)"
and when they were saying goodbye at that beach house and he says "I Love You" before Clementine whispers "Meet me in Montauk".

Anyways. If anybody is wondering what to get me for my birthday, two names:
Jim Carrey (note I already have Bruce ALmighty and Lemony Snickets. And the only one I hate is The Mask) and Johnny Depp (I have Charlie and Corpse Bride and Pirates ..).
oh actually 3 names: add Tim Burton to that (I also have Nightmare Before Christmas, thanx to my dad :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment