Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Made in Malaysia

My opinion on things made in malaysia that I encountered during my trip back home.

Adibah Noor's Terlalu Istimewa

I got this as a gift from Mdm Y, my lunch buddy friend. Am I glad I did, coz later I found out from my sister that this CD is pretty hard to find. I am not suprised. Adibah produced this CD herself. There are probably just a few copies in the market, and to me, it's pretty good, despite 6 out of the 17 tracks being minus-one tracks.
I love almost every single song in the album, with the exception of Terlalu Hina, which is Adibah's attempt at Heavy Metal. No dahling.. your voice is too beautiful to waste it on Heavy Metal.. please don't (It was quite horrific). Otherwise, Adibah's voice is superb.. I think she is one of the most under-rated performers in our country. It's a shame that the big companies are not taking notice of her (or maybe they are, but don't think she has any commercial value due to her size.. she looks great on the album cover though). I really hope that she will come up with another album. 11 lagu je tak puas lah kak!! (11 songs are not enough to satisfy me, sister!)
I know it's probably too obvious, since it's the one song that gets the most airplay, but Terlalu Istimewa is my favourite. I actually cried listening to the lyrics of this song. Perhaps it's just pregnancy hormones or my motherly feelings, but this song really really touched me.
I have been a fan of Adibah Noor since I saw her compete for the Suara Nescafe in 1994, and this album has sealed me as a fan for life. :)
For more information on Adibah Noor, you can visit her website : http://adibahnoor.tripod.com

That mobile phone commercial
You know that mobile phone that is supposed to be so stable? Its commercial shows this guy on the beach and a woman jogs past and he secretly takes a picture of her. And then later they bump into each other and they find out they have both been secretly taking pictures of each other? and they laugh it off and supposedly hit it off?
I'm sorry, but I don't find that romantic in the least bit. I actually find it disturbing.
The first words that came out of my mouth when I saw that commercial on TV was "Pervert!!". In real life, the guy would probably get a slap in the face, if not a summons. If i find out someone has been secretly taking pictures of me, I woulds walk away with them, I'd probably run the other way.. I mean, would you date a stalker? If he stalked you before, what makes you think he'd stop or won't do something worse after you had ended the relationship? Talk about alarm bells.
And what message are they trying to teach the public? That it's okay to secretly take pictures of other people? Or perhaps, "It is now easier to take pictures of other people secretly with our super stable camera". I can think of lots of other ways they could've promoted the stability feature of their camera. What about taking a picture on the train or in the car? Or during a family picnic? Or during a head bopping rocking your boots off concert? I bet nutty, our resident modblog copywriter can come up with a few.
Sheesh.

Mawi Mawi and more Mawi
Man... this guy was everywhere!!
We were driving up north and along the highway we saw a huge billboard of him promoting instant noodles. Almost all the Malaysian entertainment magazines on the rack had some bit of story about him. He even has a column in Harian Metro. Even Mastika (the magazine that devotes itself to bizzare and religious stories) had an article about a scandal he is supposedly in. And guess who is the face to promote the first Malaysian Mobile phone, M-Mobile? yup, you got it, Mawi.
I know he's like a rags to riches story and he has earned it, but damn, is this guy over exposed or what?

Gerak Khas and Black Metal
My father-in-law is a huge fan of Gerak Khas. On Monday evenings(?) we'd have our dinner in front of the TV just so he could catch this Malaysian police show. Just so happens that the 2 weeks we were at my in-laws, it was that double episode on Black Metal.
I don't know, everything about the show seemed unreal.. is this really how the police work? And is this what the Black Metal threat really is? So it's not like it's a bunch of teenagers wearing black clothes and congregating and having a chat eh?
I really can't tell, what's truth and what's fiction from watching Gerak Khas, so all I told my kids was that these kids probably don't have the proper skills and support structure to cope wih whatever problems they are facing, so they go into whatever is currently available and popular... (at least that's what I gather from watching lotsa Oprah and Dr. Phil.. hee hee)

Baik Punya Cilok!!
I SOOOOOOO wanted to watch this movie.
Everyone was raving about it, saying that it's really good, even reminiscent of the classic P.Ramlee movies.
but alas.. time and opportunity did not permit.
I know that we'd probably be able to watch it during Hari Raya the next one or two years, but I had wanted to catch it on the big screen and laugh with the crowds. Ah well.. i guess I'll have to wait for the VCD to come out.

Roti Canai
North South East West
Roti Canai is the Best!
I had roti canai almost every morning during the 4 weeks I was home. I dread to see what my cholestrol level is...



What is it about listening to The Cure's Catch on cold days that makes you feel so melancholy?





Blog Comments

Posted by: LoLlieS
Date: 01/17/06 at 8:50 AM (5M2d ago)
adibah noor is a very popular choice for jemputan kahwin at hotels. Yeah she is good. She was singing with Ning once, a strong powerful song, and she is no contest.

Yeah mawi is everywhere. Kat kedai buku toleh kanan kiri somanya muka dia.


Posted by:+nectar
Date: 01/17/06 at 11:48 AM (5M2d ago)
last year there was another ad also featuring a guy taking photo of a girl he liked using his phone camera. and then they hit it off. was it Pond's or something I can't remember but I totally dislike that ad promoting phone as intrusion of your privacy. what if you happen to ambik gambar gf or wife orang, tak kena penumbuk sebijik?

Posted by:TheCharmedOne
Date: 01/17/06 at 11:48 AM (5M2d ago)
akak.. iklan handpon tu sebenarnya iklan kamera ler.

i hate Nawi. dah naik muak tengok muka dia, dalam paper pon asik cite dia jer. Ade sekali tu, semua muka dia dalam paper saya conteng (paper tu kawan saya punyer) hahaha..... meluat sungguh!!!

Posted by:fiammepersempre
Date: 01/17/06 at 10:04 PM (5M1d ago)
Hey Elisa!
Well so far it's been pretty stable.
I like it :0) Thanks for coming by.
- Lindsay



Posted by: lion3ss (View Website)
Date: 01/18/06 at 12:17 AM (5M1d ago)
Glad you're back online. Memang lah muka budak over exposed tu mana mana sekarang. Dalam paper kata AF4 dah nak start audition, so maybe by this time next year we'll get less of him.


Posted by:bertique
Date: 01/18/06 at 2:09 AM (5M1d ago)
haha mawi, malaysia ..
ikon la katakan .. ish ish ish ..

eh wait, u dah balik alkhobar ka ??


Posted by: ondeonde yang dah pindah (View Website)
Date: 01/18/06 at 5:06 AM (5M1d ago)
I love adibah noor!!!! memang tak ada tandingan..
as for mawi, kat instant noodle Mamee pun ada muka dia..
Baik Punya Cilok pun belum nengok , nak jugak nengok but first I want to watch Memoirs of Geisha..


Posted by: zan
Date: 01/18/06 at 5:33 AM (5M1d ago)
kat mana2 pun mmg mawi, boring...
mdm Y byk buat promo pasal adibah heheh ;) dia tgh vacation kat langkawi.
elisa kalau u lama kat sini, kita dah boleh buat Mommies Day out tgk Baik Punya Cilok but u'r not here, tak cukup quorum.



Posted by: rotidua (View Website)
Date: 01/18/06 at 6:39 AM (5M1d ago)
u have adibah noor's CD??? sungguh dengki.


Posted by: famygirl
Date: 01/19/06 at 1:54 AM (5M19h ago)
adibah noor.. i like! i cried listening to Terlalu Istimewa too


Posted by: WebMasterAN (View Website)
Date: 01/25/06 at 8:59 PM (4M3w ago)
Thanks for your support to Adibah Noor. For more info, simply visit www.adibah-noor.com , the official website.


Posted by: redplanet (View Website)
Date: 04/18/06 at 6:08 AM (2M1d ago)
yes she is very good..think tower records at klcc also have her cd..

check out some stories at this website www.kahwin.tk

all the best to her


Posted by: czaree
Date: 05/25/06 at 8:42 AM (3w3d ago)
mawi is the current malay icon.....cool or not is beside the point. singing ability not perfect...but so was p.ramlee ...and mick jagger sings out of tune until his 60's

No comments:

Post a Comment