Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Easy Peasy Almond Cookies

As usual, background story first:
I saw pictures of delectable almond cookies on Hart's blog and asked for the recipe. She sent me a scanned page off of Chef Wan's book, where there were a few recipes for different almond cookies. I chose the easiest one (Almond Rings) and decided to try it out. I only did one slight modification to the amount of sugar used. Oh and I changed how the cookies were formed.
(Hart takes beautiful pictures, by the way, and we've been friends since the recipe exchange :) )

Easy Peasy Almond Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup (150g) butter @room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup powdered or fine sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond essence
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg white, slightly beaten, for dipping
crushed almonds for decoration

Method:
Cream butter, sugar, egg yolk and almond essence.
Add flour, ground almonds and salt, mix well.
Form dough into a ball, wrap in saran wrap (plastic sheet) and chill for 1 hour.
Take spoonfulls of dough and form into quarter (20sen) sized thick discs, dip in egg whites and roll in crushed almonds.
Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 175deg C or 375degF until golden.
Makes about 5 dozen.

The original recipe required 1/4 cup of sugar, but I had accidently poured more and was too lazy to take out the excess and put it back into the sugar container so i just used the 1/3 cup I had accidently measured out. The original instructions also told me to form the dough into rings, but somehow my dough was a bit crumbly do I decided to form them into flat balls/thick discs instead.
I did not wait till my cookies turned golden brown coz the bottom of my cookies were starting to burn (perhaps because I used the black non-stick baking tray?). The moment my kitchen smelled like popcorn (roughly 12 minutes), I took the cookies out of the oven.


Easy Peasy Yummeh Cruncheh Almond Cookies

The result was a very mildly sweet and buttery cookie that was crunchy and melts in your mouth. It was almost like kuih bangkit but butter-flavoured. Or biskut arab but crunchy and light.
I like!!
I am actually considering making another batch :)

This is also a good recipe to try out with your kids. It is simple enough, except for the forming bit (coz the dough was crumbly). Ilham and Ihsan helped me dip the cookies in egg whites and almonds and alerted me when they started 'smelling popcorn'.

Happy Trying and Eid Mubarak!

No comments:

Post a Comment