Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Easy Peasy Cheese and Olive Loaf

I bet you thought I'd never get around to making a culinary jam post, eh? Well, I thought so too. But this recipe is so easy, i managed to squeeze it in in between cooking dinner.

I got this recipe from a magazine at a friend's house (I think it's a compilation of recipes from Women's Weekly). It looked easy enough, and the picture looked yummy, and the ingredients were pretty simple and readily available, so i thought I'd give it a try. I'm gonna give the recipe in it's originality and then tell you what I changed in mine.

Easy peasy Cheese and Olive Loaf

1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
2/3cup (50g) coarsely grated parmesan
2 tablespoons coearsly chopped fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup (120g) seeded black olives, chopped coarsely
75grams mortadella, chopped coarsely
4 eggs, beaten lightly
80grams butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400F(200C). Lightly grease 8cm by 26cm bar cake pan.
Sift flour into a medium bowl, add cheese, mint, pepper, olives and mortadella.
Add egg and melted butter, stir until well combined. Spread mixture into pan, bake about 35minutes or until browned lightly.
Turn onto wire rack to cool. (Serves 6)


luvleh and yummeh!!!


I don't really like the taste of mint, except when it's in laksa, toothpaste or a breath freshening candy, so I omitted the fresh mint. I didnt have enough grated parmesan coz Anis ate most of it when I made spaghetti the day before so I added a bit of shredded mozarella instead. I didn't use black pepper, but them powdered white pepper instead. I brought pre-sliced black olives, the kind you would put on pizza, and just ran a knife through them so that it wont be so chunky and my kids wouldnt be able to pick them out. I used beef mortadella, and only realized that I had bought the kind that already had olives in them. I used more than 75 grams.. tee hee. I guess if you can't find mortadella, you can use any type of deli meats. Giant Kelana Jaya has a counter that sells halal ones, the last time I was there.

The end result was a little dry, I don't know why. The next time I make it I'll probably put some kind of fresh herb , maybe it'll moisten it a bit. but even so, it was still yummy. The combination of olives, cheese and cured meat was just right on delicious. I think the next time i try this maybe I'd add sun-dried tomatoes and basil, and I'd call it a pizza loaf!

Cubalah! (Go on, try it!)

Hope that this will tie you over while I'm away in Makkah for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment