Sunday, July 09, 2006

Thai Style Chilli Sauce

Since my kids don't really eat spicy food, I seldom buy fresh chillies. But last week I decided to buy a packet of fresh red chillies, and when Taufik went to the fish market and came back with huge fish, I decided to try make my own Thai Style Chilli Sauce.
It was all on a whim, and I didn't have time to browse for recipes, so I had to wing it and use my imagination (and my tastebuds).
Lo and behold, it turned out to be not bad.. not bad at all..

Thai Style Chilli Sauce

Roughly ground in a mortar&pestle or in your blender:
5 fresh red chillies, remove the seeds
2 cloves garlic
1inch ginger

abt 1/4 cup water
2 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce (nampla)
salt to taste

Method:
Saute ground ingredients in 2tbsp of oil till fragrant. Add a bit of water, then the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix completely, until bubbles form. Taste, add salt if needed.
Pour over deep fried or grilled fish. (might work well with fried chicken as well.. hmm yum yum)



we had this with steaming white rice and bayam goreng ikan masin.. yummeh!

Note:
If you completely remove the seeds of the chillies, the sauce would be un-spicy enough even for my children. If you'd like it spicy, leave some of the seeds in. Using a mortar&pestle to ground the chillies, garlic and ginger somehow makes it tastier than if you used a blender.. don't know why.

Leftover sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge, i guess. I've never had leftovers yet.. tee hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment