Thursday, February 24, 2005

My reading list for the next few weeks

If you live in the Klang Valley and you are not aware of it yet, the MPH Warehouse Sale is currently being held at that big public hall in front of Brem Tower (where your friendly LHDN staff works) in Kelana Jaya.Yesterday and today are days restricted to MPH Readers Circle members and their 3 guests. I was privileged to be famygirl's guest yesterday.So here's what I bought and why I bought them:


Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven - coz bertique recommended it. :) and he's always giving inspiring anecdotes, I'm sure this one would inspire me. Even if it is half as good as Tuesdays with Morrie, I would be happy.

Paul Coelho's Veronika Decides To Die - coz ummi said it was good and I have read The Alchemist before and I had enjoyed it immensely, so I believe her.

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl - coz primarybasic had it on her shelves, and I'm wondering what all the hype is about (more on this later).

Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran - coz someone who won't admit being related to me wrote a review about it and got me piqued. (I tried to find the specific post but I gave up. You can search her archives for it).

Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Jingo and Nightwatch - I was *so* tempted to cleanup the whole shelf, but I remembered that I am poor, and that borrowing somebody else's books (read: my siblings) don't cost a dime, So I called my Kak Long, who obligingly went out of a meeting to recall what she already have on her shelf and what I should buy. "Anything with witches and Lord Venturi". So I got those first 2 ones (I don't know if they had witches in them) and the latter 2 had Commander Vimes, so I'm assuming it will also have Lord Venturi innit. Yes Firhad and D.. I now see why


Oh I also bought an Enid Blyton book for my neighbor's son who had hurt his arm in a car accident on Sunday. Can't remember the title. The Mystery of .. Something about a house.


I also bought 2 cute small purses with 'Hot Cat' on them. Somehow I thought of Ray The Arab Cat... maybe she's psychic and remotely controlled my minds to buy them for her.. They're really cute tho.


I wanted to buy some Neil Gaiman, but alas.. they didnt have any!! And I was also looking out for something from Edward De Bono that riza is reading, but couldnt find that either.



okay..So the first book I decided to devour was Artemis Fowl.I have so far only reached the 3rd chapter. There is some hyrogliphic code running along the bottom of the pages of the book and you're supposed to break it and reveal the 'secret message' and .. heh heh.. weep puny kids! I have solved the code!! muaha ha ha.
it was pretty easy, really.. maybe because the book's target audience *are* children..
anyways.In the first chapter, I loathed Artemis. I thought he was some cruel, arrogant, spoiled snob.. I had actually imagined him looking like Draco Malfoy. Then they revealed the mother and revealed the sad mother-son relationship, and I kinda pitied him. So now he's a pitiful cruel, arrogant, spoiled snob..But then, I never judge a book by its first few chapters.. the story is intriguing enough to make me keep on reading.
So far it's like a cross between Dan Brown and erm.. I hate to say it, but Neil Gaiman. Detective work in the magic and fairy territory.. and watered down for juvenile consumption.

Oh and I also bought a book on paper planes for my kids. So aside from reading these books, I will also be spending my time making them paper planes and launching them off my mom's balcony.

Looks like I'm all set for the next 2 or 3 months.



Original post is on my original blog

No comments:

Post a Comment