Friday, February 03, 2006

Bread Pudding (Puding Roti)

What a coincidence!! Lollies made bread pudding too!!

Okay this is my first attempt at baking something. Suddenly I was craving for bread pudding, so I decided to browse for some recipes and found one that was labelled 'Pasti Sedap' (Guaranteed Delicious), so I decided to try it out.
You can find the original recipe at Mesra.net, but here's my version (coz my baking pan is smaller and I have my own taste..)



Easy Peasy Bread Pudding

8 pieces of white bread (I guess you can try it with wheat or pumpernickle if u wanted)
Butter I used I Can't believe It's Not Butter, coz it's easier to spread and I don't have to wait for it to soften
1 can pineapple bits The original recipe said 'mixed fruit', but I don't like the cherries in the mixed fruit
brown sugar roughly 6 tablespoons
300ml evaporated milk
200ml whipping cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
raisins (optional)

Butter your baking pan on it's bottom and sides (mine was like, 4" by 6" i think). Butter the bread and then cut them up into small pieces. I buttered my bread on one side, cut them up, then arranged/laid them butter side down into the pan, and then butter the un-buttered side. On top of one layer of bread, distribute the pineapple bits and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
Arrange another layer of bread, then pineapple, then sugar. I did three layers. My top layer was the pineapple and sugar exposed. I spread out some raisins on the top layer coz I had some lying around.
In a bowl, beat/mix well the evaporated milk, whipping cream, eggs and vanilla essence (it smells so yummy!). I used whipping cream instead of fresh milk coz I wanted it to be more creamy, less watery. Pour mixture bit by bit over the layers of bread, allowing it to seep and soak down. Let stand for at least an hour. (in the meantime, you can preheat your oven to 325 Farenhite).
Put a few dollops of butter on the top layer before you bake in the oven for at least 45minutes.
You will see that the bread will expand like it's gonna flow out of your pan, but don't worry it will shrink once it's cooled down.
Let cool, then cut up, scoop out and serve!




This turned out to be just to my taste. Creamy, custard-y, not too sweet, with the slightly tangy-sour taste of pineapples. The top layer of pineapples, raisins and sugar got a little caramelized/burnt so it gave it a nice edge.

I didn't make any custard sauce to go with this, perhaps Lollies can give us her recipe ? ;)

Don't just drool, go ahead and make it.. !

No comments:

Post a Comment