Monday, May 22, 2006

Easy Peasy Birthday Cake & Kuih Bakar

If you really want to impress your kid, bake him a birthday cake . Doesn't matter if it's a cheat recipe or if it's made from scratch. They can't tell the difference anyways. But make sure he is old enough to appreciate it. I think any kid above 4 years old would notice if you've made something special for him/her.

Easy Peasy Birthday Cake

One box of Betty Crocker Cake Mix (any flavour, but in my house, it's gotta be Chocolate)
Heavy whipping cream (1/2 box)
cream cheese (200gm box)
4 tablespoons of icing sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
2 tablespoons of chocolate drink powder (Milo, ovaltine, whatever. can be substituted with appropriate coloring/flavour)
Chocolate rice or colorful sprinkles.
Mini marshmallows

Bake the cake per instructions on box. (Note: for mine, I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into the mix and folded in half a packet of hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips before pouring into the cake tin).
Beat cream cheese, sugar and choc drink powder till soft and well mixed. Add in whipping cream and whip till mixture is thick enough to spread.
Spread cream cheese frosting on cake, arrange marshmallows in child's name or age, sprinkle chocolate rice as contrast.


I know I said that I was going to spell Ilham's name, but there wasnt enough space, so I did the number '8' (his age) instead.
Variations: decorate the cake with tiny figurines/toys of his favourite hobby or character.
Guaranteed smiles.
He even requested (REQUESTED! I didnt even have to suggest it or twist his arm!) to bring the leftover cake to school for his class teacher and friends. He came home today telling me how much they loved it. Yay!!


I got this next recipe from Sunflora. She served me this delicious dessert when I was at her house and I asked her where she bought it and was very glad to know that she made it herself and that the recipe was crazy simple (senang giller). She wrote it down for me and I tried it last night. Took me less than 10 minutes to mix everything.

Easy Peasy Kuih Bakar (Baked Custard?)
1 bowl eggs (crack eggs in a bowl till the bowl is full)
1 bowl sugar
1 bowl flour (plain white flour)
2 bowl coconut milk
1 teaspoon all spice (I subtituted with vanilla)

It's all about the volume. Make sure you get the volume proportions right.
Pre-heat oven to 325Farenhite. Wipe baking pan with some cooking oil and pre-heat the pan in the oven.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl (i just used an egg beater).
Pour into pre-heated pan (mixture should sizzle a bit), bake for 45 minutes.
Result should be golden yellow and very soft. If it's slightly brown at the edges and hard (like mine, below), that means you've overcooked it. But it's still really gooood!

No comments:

Post a Comment