Monday, March 05, 2007

one hundred books

I better do this before I forget.
Plus it beats commenting about it in everybody else's blog.

I just hope I can remember the 'rules':
Bold - I've read,
Italicize - I want to read,
Crossed out - won’t touch with a 10 foot pole,
cross (+) - on my book shelf,
asterisk (*) - never heard of.
underline - the movies of the books I have watched

1. + The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) - was intrigued by the online game, bought the book. Havent watched the movie.
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - I should get a copy of the Book AND the movie lah. (hint hint : good birthday present)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) - i wont cross this out, though i'm not sure I want to read it.
5. + [B]The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)[/B]
6. + The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. + The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien) Why are these books listed in the wrong order?
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) - i watched the mini-series. does it count?
9. * Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. * A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling) - pretty gruesome, no?
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) - i heard that it's not so good, but I wont mind reading it if I find it lying around somewhere.
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling) - will watch the movie when it comes out
14. * A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) - borrowed the book from a friend. I thought the movie was not as beautiful as the book.
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. * Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King) - which one is this? Anyways, I think he writes better short stories than books.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(Rowling) - borrowed.
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) - have to read again.
21. + The Hobbit (Tolkien) - Loved it more than LOTR.
22. + The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) - very confusing and a bit depressing, but still very intriguing. Always reminds me of Mel Gibson in Conspiracy theory.
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott) - Yummy christian bale!
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) - lovely lovely book.
25. * Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) - saw snippets of the movie, looks really funny. Will probably buy it the next time I see it.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) - not sure if I watched the movie.. i do have this image of Sir Lawrence Olivier in my head from the movie.
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) - Loved the movie!
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) - judging from the movie, I'm sure this will be a good read.
30. + Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom) - Did they make this into a movie?
31. Dune (Frank Herbert) - i thought the book was better than the movie. I only understood the movie after reading the book. btw, Sting played a villian in this movie.
32. The Notebook – (Nicholas Sparks) - I loved this movie!! Wanna read the book.
33. * Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell) - the movie was really boring, i fell asleep. I think my siblings will rub it in if I didnt read it.
35. * The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) - is this about horses by any chance? Coz I think i've read Ken Follett before.
37. * The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. * I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. * The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. + The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) - my favourite Coelho book, thus far.
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel) - wasnt this made into The 13th Warrior?
42. * The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) - From pb's comments on it, it sounds pretty interesting.
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella) - i wanna see what the hype is about.
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) - saw the movie halfway
45. Bible - read bits and pieces of it. But how do you tell which bits were re-written and which were the true words of God?
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) - watched the mini series.
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) - Loved that guy. Whats his name. The guy who played Jesus Christ. Jame Cazievel or sthing
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt) - i know it's on my mom's bookshelves somewhere.
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. * She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. * The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. * Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. * The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough) - mini series, starring Richard CHamberlain
59. * The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger) - but I don't mind watching the movie.
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. * The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy) - i heard that this one is really long.
64. Interview With the Vampire (Anne Rice) - liked the book better than the movie.
65. * Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) - read it three times, still boggles me.
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares) - i enjoyed the movie, but I dont think i want to read it.
68. Catch–22 (Joseph Heller) - it's lying around in my mom's house somewhere
69. Les Miserables (Hugo) - this is a book? I thought it was a play?
70. * The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint–Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding) - dont want to read it.
72. + Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez) - it's on my shelf. I've started reading it, but have not gone past the first chapter coz I started sewing. will want to watch if it is ever made into a movie.
73. Shogun (James Clavell) - mini series!
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje) - okay I'll read it the next time I go to my mom's house.
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. * The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. * A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. * The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White) - i wanna watch the movie too!
81. * Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) - first time I heard it, it was from Onde2.. but it's quite a classic, i found out.
84. * Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen) - was an english assignment.enjoyed the book and movie.
86. * Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. * Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. * The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. * Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of a Lion (Ondaatje) - i've seen this book.. kat mana ya?
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) - very disturbing. made me cry. loved balthazar getty in the movie.
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck) - recommended by Oprah, but never bought it.
94. * The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum) - i think i like the book better than both versions of the movie.
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) - LOVE LOVE the movie!! A must see for 80's brat pack fans.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. * A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. * The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

wah.. according to this, i havent read that many books, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment