Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Easy Peasy Chicken Salad

Being a lazy housewife, I have to think up easy peasy and ready in minutes lunch for myself. (Eversince Izani was born, I don't have enough time to prepare lunch for Taufik so he doesnt come home for lunch, so usually it's just me and Izani for lunch).

So here's something I made when I found out it was faster to fry up my kids' frozen chicken nuggets than to wait for meat to defrost, and after I got sick of eating variations of instant noodles.
The beauty of a salad is that you can make it with whatever ingredients you have lying around. Any fresh leafy vegetables that tastes good raw would provide a good base, then you can add up other fresh raw vegetables like carrots or celery or even herbs like basil or coriander leaves. Don't have croutons? Use nuts to provide the crunch, OR use crispy cornchips (wahh have to try with twisties next time).
Since you're making this salad yourself, you can be as versatile as you want, based on your own taste. Don't like veggies that much? use more meat. Already had sausages for breakfast? use less meat, more veggies. Dont fancy breaded chicken or processed food? Grill some fresh chicken breasts seasoned with your favourite seasoning. No chicken? Use canned tuna. Or even ikan bilis goreng. And you can use whatever dressing you like.
Here's how I made mine today:

Easy Peasy Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
3-4 frozen breaded chicken breasts, prepared per instructions on box
quarter of a small head of iceberg lettuce, cut into bite size
half of a small carrot, shredded
one stalk celery, cut into small pieces
Ranch dressing in a bottle
a handful of raw almonds and cashews

Method:
While the chicken is cooking, cut up vegetables into a bowl. Pour dressing over and toss. When chicken is done, cut into bite sized pieces of slices and lay on the bed of vegetables. sprinkle nuts around.

Yummeh!


Easy, no?
I used breaded chicken filets that cook in the oven for 15 minutes, so this dish took me at most, 20 minutes. The other day I had it with honey mustard drizzled on the chicken, but today i forgot.
If you don't have an oven, buy chicken filets that can be cooked on the stovetop or the microwave. The first time I made this, I used my kids' chicken nuggets and just deep fried them per instructions. tee hee. (but it was slightly oily, so I prefer the cook-in-oven kind).

Enjoy!

p/s masakan yang bagus untuk budak2 sekolah yang baru pindah apartment. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment